DIY Fashion: From Flared to Skinnies - DIY Skinny Jeans

I had a pair of light wash flared jeans lying around, and they fit me nicely but I hated the flare.  So I decided to turn them into skinny jeans!!

For this tutorial you will need:
1 pair of flared jeans that fit you well up until about mid-thigh
Thread and a strong needle OR a sewing machine (sewing machine preferred)
Sharp scissors
Pins
A pencil/something to mark the fabric with
Legs!

1. Turn your jeans inside out, and use a pair of jeans that fit you well to decide how you want your final product to look.  Trace the outline onto the jeans with your pencil or fabric chalk.  When drawing your outline, PLEASE take into account your seam allowances and room for error.  You can always go back and make the jeans tighter, but once you cut them there is no turning back.  Better safe than sorry.


















2. Next, I tried the jeans on and pinned the two sides of the jeans together with my legs still in them.  This helped me to make sure that the jeans were the right fit, and that I could get my legs in and out of them.  If you decide to do this step, and are using straight pins, please be VERY careful not to prick yourself.


















Because this was my first time doing something like this, everything was pretty much trial and error.  As you (hopefully) can see here, the pins do not line up with the line that I drew originally.  I ended up using that line as the line I cut the excess denim off of instead.

















3. Sew!!! Because I did this by hand, I backstitched to ensure that the seams would not come undone.  They turned out pretty well ... I don't have a picture sorry!!  You'll just have to take my word for it :).  If you have a sewing machine use it!  It takes WAY less time.



4. After your sides have been sewn, check to make sure the jeans fit you properly (try them on).  Then cut off the excess denim!


And voila! You now own a new pair of skinny jeans! :)
I don't have a picture of the finished product right now because these jeans are undergoing another transformation, which you all will get to see in another blogpost.  You'll get to check out the fit then!
Until then, happy DIY-ing!

- xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts