Hair Journey: How to Grow Healthy Hair in Ten Steps

Hey all!

Today`s post is for those who will be following my hair journey. The following are some practices that I will be incorporating into my regular regimen to ensure that my hair grows out healthy.  I hope they prove to be helpful to you!

1. Moisturize!
Using natural oils to moisturize your hair is the best way to ensure you retain your length.  My favourites are coconut oil, olive oil, and grape seed oil.

2. Deep Condition!
I deep condition once weekly to ensure that my hair remains moisturized.  Check out my previous posts for recipes for deep condition hair masks that I use on a regular basis!

3. Minimize Heat Styling!
This one will take quite a bit of work, but I will be using heat on my hair once a week ONLY.  I am so used to touching up my hair in the summer months/after I have been active and sweating.  However minimizing heat styling means minimizing heat damage, which is why I will be attempting to reduce the heat.  My goal is to let my hair dry naturally, and then flat iron once a week.  I have attempted to turn down the heat, and I will now be using my flat iron at no more than 340 degrees Fahrenheit, instead of 370.

4. Use Appropriate Shampoos!
As I have colour treated hair, it is important for me to make sure that I am using a shampoo that caters to that.  That is why I use a mixture of a shampoo designed for colour treated hair, and a shampoo designed for dry damaged hair.  I simply mix half and half in my hand when I am shampooing, to ensure that my hair is getting the care that it requires.

5. Watch Those Ends!
Healthy hair grows best when you keep your ends healthy.  For me, this means trimming split ends (no matter how hard it can be to let go of the length), and keeping my hair braided or in buns when I sleep.  I also sleep with a scarf covering my head, to reduce breakage.

6. Don't Cut Too Much!
I cut my own hair, and I often get scissor happy.  That's why my hair is so short in the first place!  My hair was almost to the middle of my back, but I got a little too carried away when I tried to trim off the damage/breaking ends, and ended up taking off 5-6 inches of hair over the course of 2-3 months.  Yikes, I know.  So, for those of you who trim your own hair, be careful!  And for those of you who go to a salon, make sure that you and your hairdresser are on the same page when it comes to how much length is appropriate for them to cut.

7. No Alcohol!
... In your products that is.  Alcohol dries out your hair, so watch out for products that contain alcohol.  Even if it's not listed high up on the ingredients list, it's best to avoid it.  Tip: If you open the bottle and take a sniff, you should not be able to smell the alcohol.  If you do, don't use it!  I have a few products that have alcohol in them, and I will not be repurchasing after I have completed them.  However I won't be throwing them out, as I am not one to waste money.

8. Water!
Drinking water will promote healthy hair growth.  Since our bodies are made up of 70%+ water, it is important to keep our bodies hydrated.  If you put good stuff in, you'll get good results coming out.  Also, using water based products instead of alcohol based products is the way to go!

9. Vitamins!
Taking vitamins and supplements will not only benefit your health, but will benefit your hair growth.  Take vitamins with iron and calcium for the best benefit to your bones, skin, hair and nails.  Biotin is another supplement that will help you to grow long, strong hair.  Using products with biotin and keratin in them will also be beneficial to your hair growth journey!

10. Sleep!
Your body replenishes itself and grows as you sleep.  That's why it is important for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night.  You'll feel better, and your hair will thank you for it!

For now, these are the ten steps I will be taking to promote healthy hair growth.  These methods may not accelerate my hair growth, but they will allow me to retain the hair that I do grow.

Here's a bonus: the products I use to aid in hair growth!  Check them out, I promise you won't regret it!



I hope this post helps some of you out!

- xoxo, Jayy

Curious about how my first month of taking biotin went?  Check out Week OneWeek Two, and Weeks Three & Four.
Interested in learning more about my hair story? Click here.

Comments

Popular Posts