Biotin Update: Month 2 & 3 (May 14th - July 14th)

It's time for my second biotin update!

For those of you who are new, or just coming across this post, here's a recap (If you want to skip this part, scroll down!):

I decided to re-integrate biotin into my vitamin regimen after noticing how slowly my hair was growing.  The first time I used it, I didn't notice outstanding results, but I figured it was worth a second shot after watching some convincing YouTube videos.  I am tracking my growth using my roots, as my naturally black hair stands out against my red ends.  I am measuring this way because I want to see how effective the biotin is, rather than track the length of my hair.  My goal is healthy new growth, and not so much length (although my ultimate goal is long healthy hair!).  Interested in learning more about my hair story? Click here.

In April I was disappointed to note that my roots have only grown one inch in two months, which is the average growth rate for hair.  Though my hair does grow quite slowly, I was hoping for something a little more outstanding than average. I first tried 5000 mcgs of biotin, and then doubled the dosage to 10 000 mcgs because I was not seeing results.  If the 10 000 mcgs do not make a difference, I will lower the dose back to 5000 mcgs.

I have experienced breakouts, but they have cleared up and I am left with my regular acne.  My nails and body/facial hair are growing faster than normal, but not too fast.

For more information on my experience during the first month, and pictures of my progress, check out my previous biotin updates: Week OneWeek Two, and Weeks Three & Four.  

Now, on to my experience in May/June!

As I stated previously, I lowered my biotin dose to 5000 mcgs, and I continue to take my multivitamins.  The 10 000 mcgs of biotin did not seem to be making a difference, and I found myself breaking out more often.  I have added two things to my pill regime: fish oil (2000 mgs per day) and the New Nordic Hair Volume pill.  I completed my first month of the Hair Volume pill on July 11th, and repurchased another month's worth of pills.

Nothing much has changed in the last two months, besides my hair growth.  My hair continues to grow at a steady rate of roughly half an inch to three quarters of an inch per month, which is nothing out of the ordinary.  I have made it to 5 cm of new growth (woo hoo!!!!) which is just shy of 2 inches!  2 inches in 3 months ... not bad!  I was able to trim my hair again two weeks ago, and got rid of some split ends at the top of my head that were driving me crazy.  Now that it is summer, I find myself washing my hair twice a week, but only shampooing once and co-washing the other time.

My skin has gotten worse, as I have slacked on my water intake.  I am upping it back to 5 bottles of water per day, and am avoiding fatty foods.  Or trying to ... :).  My nails are growing quickly, but continue to split (probably because I am not drinking enough fluids).  My body hair is growing extremely fast, which is driving me up the wall considering that it's summer and I have to shave every other day if I don't want to look like a hairy beast.  If only I could transfer that hair growth to the top of my head .....

The Final Verdict ....
Things are going well!  I will continue to take my biotin and the New Nordic Hair Volume supplement for another month, and we will see how my hair grows.  My goal is to be at least an inch past APL by the end of the summer, and be at BSL by the end of the year.  Let's see how it goes!

I hope you all are finding these updates helpful.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to leave them in the comments below and I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Cheers to supplements that work!

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts