Brand of the Month - Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Line

Shea Moisture is basically a staple for any natural girl, so it's no surprise that this brand has shown up in my brand of the month series.  However I simply cannot get enough of the Coconut and Hibiscus line - and apparently I'm not the only one!  Ranked as their top selling product line to date, the Coconut and Hibiscus line is great for so many reasons.  Before I give my review away, let's get to talking about the two products I've tried.




Curl Enhancing Smoothie


Price: I paid a whopping $14.99 for a 12 ounce container of this product on sale, but it goes for as much as $16.99 at my local beauty supply store.  Find it for much cheaper on the Shea Moisture website, or even Walmart.

Use: I find this is best used as the "liquid" step in the LOC method.  Trust me, a little goes a long way.  The first time I used this product, I used WAY too much, and it left a sticky residue in your hair.  Dip your fingers into the container and apply sparingly, adding more as needed to your curls wherever you see frizz.  This is one of the few products where the "dime-sized amount" per section of hair definitely applies.  Follow up with a light layer of coconut oil to seal the deal. This product will hold my curls for the entire week, in combination with the curling souffle.

Product Rating: 5/5 for the amazing scent, and AMAZING curl definition.  Every single time I use this product, I get compliments on my hair.  No joke.  Plus the smell lasts for a few days, which means that my hair feels freshly washed for days to come!


Curling Souffle

Price: Once again, I paid $14.99 for 12 ounces of this product on sale, with regular price being $16.99 at my local beauty supply store.  That being said, I think this is definitely worth it.

Use: I use this as the last step in the LOC method to seal in my curls.  Use after the curl enhancing smoothie to seal in those beautiful curls and add shine.  This is another alcohol-free gel like product, and the use of agave nectar and flax-seed oil provides a strong hold without the gel cast or crunch.  Once again, a little bit goes a long way.  This product may be pricey, but it will last you a long time since you only need a tiny bit to seal the style in.  Literally dip your fingers in and then rake through each section using your fingers (or a comb if you prefer).  I love to use this with Ecostyler gel for long lasting curl definition that lasts for the entire week!  Though I have not tried this on dry hair, you can do so if you feel the need to reduce fly-aways and frizz.  I use this product for my wash and gos, but you can also use it as the styling gel for a twist-out or braid-out!

Product Rating: 5/5 for: crunch free hold, non-greasy shine, amazing scent, and the use of all natural ingredients.

Bonus points to this line for being Black owned and operated, and using natural ingredients such as Shea butter, Coconut oil, Macadamia oil, Mango seed butter, Avocado oil, and carrot seed oil.  If you're picky about using a product that only uses natural ingredients, definitely check out the Shea Moisture website.  Even better, this company doesn't just make hair products!  This means that I will definitely be checking out some of their other products!  Look out for some of those product reviews in Brand of the Month posts in the future!

Cheers to natural products for natural hair!

- xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts