The Year of the Curl CHALLENGE



For the past 10 months I've been on a challenge that I've been calling "The Year of the Curl".  A year or two ago, I flat ironed my hair so often, I was facing some SERIOUS heat damage.  Girl, my curls were GONE, but you think I would admit that openly?  Nope, I went on burning my hair straight claiming I was just heat training, because that's the kind of stubborn person I am.  Last summer though, I had to make a choice.  Either I fry my hair out of existence, or I get smart and wear my hair natural.  And thus began the "Month of the Curl", which turned into the "Semester of the Curl", which finally turned into the "Year of the Curl", as I realized how much I LOVED my natural hair!



Though I unfortunately did not document this challenge, I've decided to share my steps with you, in hopes that this will not only inspire some of you to embrace your natural curl, but also encourage those of you who are already on a similar hair journey.

So WHAT is the Year of the Curl CHALLENGE?  This is not a challenge for hair growth, even though that is initially what I originally intended it to be.  This is a challenge designed to help your learn to embrace your natural curl, and learn to manage it in ways that work best for YOU!

WHO is this challenge right for?  If you're someone who doesn't wear their natural hair out because you lack confidence in the appearance of your natural hair, then this is the challenge for you.  If you constantly flat iron or relax your hair and want to learn to embrace your natural curl, join me!  (If you're happy with your flat iron or relaxer, right on!  Respect!  More power to you!  But this challenge probably won't help you much).

And WHY should you join me on this Year of the Curl CHALLENGE?  I think it's time that us curly haired girls learn to embrace our curls.  And so often, as a Black/Mixed woman, I find that I am not encouraged to do so.  Embarking on this challenge is my chance to push back against beauty norms, and live out my own definition of 'beautiful hair'.

If you're ready to embrace your natural curls for one year, then this is the PERFECT challenge for you!  Check this post often as I update the links, and share my journey with you in retrospect.

Step 2 - Learning to Manage Your Hair Part 1 - Hair Washing Products
Step 2 - Learning to Manage Your Hair Part 2 - Hair Styling Products
Step 2 - Learning to Manage your Hair Part 3 - Resources
Step 3 - Month of the Curl
Step 4 - Quarter of the Curl
Step 5 - 6 Months of the Curl
Step 6 -Year of the Curl

Journal Prompts
Protective Styles
Best Natural Products to Use for this Challenge

DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way intending to bash women who enjoy wearing weaves or relaxing their hair.  If that is what you truly want, I have no issue with you!  This challenge is meant to encourage those of you who want to embrace your natural hair.  If you've already done that, then kudos, you don't need this challenge! :)

Comments

Popular Posts