Why My Last Closet Purge Failed. Miserably.

About two months ago, I purged my closet.  I got rid of two jumbo garbage bags full of clothes, shoes, and accessories that I didn't wear/like/need/fit into.  For the first time since we moved into this house, I had empty space in my closet and dresser drawers.

Space that used to be full of stuff ...

Space that appeared suddenly (over the course of my two weekend purge) ...

Space that I was not used to ...

Space that over the course of two months slowly filled back up as I made small purchases here and there.

And now I have no more space.

And after I did some self-reflection, I have realized why my sudden move towards minimalist living did not work for me.

1. I purge quickly, but collect slowly.  When I clean out my closet, I get rid of large amounts of clothing at a time, causing me to feel as though I deserve to buy a few items here and there to "reward myself".  However these little purchases pile up over time, and before I realize it, I've replaced everything I've gotten rid of (and then some).  The solution? I'm going to purge slowly, and allow myself to slowly adjust to the reality of owning less.  That way it's not a shock, and I'm able to ease myself into a simpler lifestyle.

2. I let purchases AND laundry pile up.  When you have a pile of laundry sitting out for several days, or you have new purchases that haven't been put away, it's easy to overestimate the space you actually have.  The solution? When I get a load of clean laundry, or in the rare event that I buy something new, I'll be putting it away ASAP so I don't make the mistake of thinking that I have a lot of empty space.

3. I spend too much time browsing fashion online.  If you spend long enough on a fashion blogger's page (or Pinterest for that matter), you'll be tempted to shop, especially if that blogger adds "helpful" links to the items that they're wearing.  It's even worse when watching fashion videos on YouTube - seeing clothing in a try-on haul is great if you want to know how something will fit you, but terrible if you're on a spending diet.  Living vicariously through someone else online may work great for some people, but that's a habit I'm about to break.  The solution?  Instead of spending my time online, I'm going to find new ways to spend it - with friends, with family, or with a cup of tea and a good book.

4. My sense of style is changing.  I used to love vintage clothing, and I was a sucker for things that were flowy or frilly.  For some unknown reason, I also used to be dead set on having a colourful wardrobe, meaning I wanted articles of clothing in every colour of the rainbow.  I now prefer simpler, more durable items of clothing, and I prefer them in dark or neutral tones.  Even though I purged and got rid of a lot, I hung on to many things that I don't plan on wearing ever again.  The solution?  As I slowly purge, I'll be getting rid of those things that I won't wear again.

5. I'm never going to be a "true" minimalist.  One day, I will have a refined wardrobe with only items that I wear (and love).  But I will never be that person with a 33 item capsule wardrobe.  Actually, I don't plan to ever have a capsule wardrobe at all.  While I want to simplify my life, I don't plan to do a complete 180.  The solution?  Who knows, maybe I will change further down the line.  But for now, I'm going to focus on simplifying my life, rather than minimalizing my possessions.

Hope this post helped someone else out there who's struggling to make the move towards minimalist!

Cheers to simplicity!

xoxo, Jayy


Comments

Popular Posts