Minimalism & The Holidays - Black Friday


Hello Lovelies!

Today I wanted to talk about the challenges of adopting a minimalist lifestyle during the holiday season.  I LOVE the holidays - thrive on it even!  Despite the winter blues, the holiday season is always a happy time of year for me.  But this year, after getting rid of all of my junk, I really was curious to see what the holiday season would mean to me.

Cue Black Friday - and oh what wonderful sales there were.  There were a few items I did NEED - a new winter coat, winter boots, and a couple of work appropriate sweaters.  As I shopped (online) for these items, I found some real gems!  But I made the mistake of purchasing a few items that I really didn't need .... and I instantly regretted it.  I was actually quite surprised to look at the items and realize that they brought me no joy.  Look at that - I adopted the Konmari method without even reading her book!  I ended up returning 8 items - sweaters, shirts, and even a jacket that I realized brought me no happiness, and added absolutely no value to my life.

I've come to realize that even though I still (and probably always will) love shopping, after getting rid of things that add no value to my life, I see no reason to continue to purchase items that will only end up in a giant donation bag in a few months.  There's no sense in wasting my money for the thrill of shopping, when I can achieve the same thrill from window shopping or online browsing.  Even if those items are on an incredible sale (40-60% off!!!!!), it still amounts to waste if it's not a necessary addition to my life.

Black Friday will always be fun for me.  The time spent on finding a great deal on an item I really need, or on an item a friend wants for Christmas, will always be enjoyable to me.  But what's even more enjoyable is the satisfaction I get from knowing that I have spent my money wisely, and that my life will remain light and uncluttered.

Cheers to you, and to finding items that bring joy to your life!

xoxo, Jayy

Comments

Popular Posts